Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Miss Cindy's Sausage Gravy

With the 4th of July upon us, many of us will have family visiting from out of town, and you always need to think about what to feed your quests for breakfast. Here's my recipe for my good, old fashioned Southern Sausage Gravy. My mother-in-law, Wanda is a true Southerner, she taught me how to make this wonderful, tasty, decadent gravy many, many years ago. It's a quick and easy breakfast for your guests! Just toss a can of biscuits in the oven, and maybe fry or scramble up some eggs and you have a quick and easy breakfast! All you need is a pound of pork sausage, flour, water and milk.
Just crumble up a pound of sausage in a skillet.
I like to use my pastry cutter to get the sausage crumbled up nice and fine. You might need to add a bit of vegetable oil if the sausage is lean. You'll need that grease to create your roux.Once the sausage is browned, sprinkle about 4 tablespoons of flour over the sausage.
Stir the sausage around until it absorbs the flour.
Cook until the flour is slightly "scorched" --that's the key because it gives it a good flavor.
Next add 1/2 cup of water, stirring constantly. Then slowly add 1 1/2 to 2 cups of milk.
Stir! Stir! Stir!
Add fresh ground pepper and salt too taste! If it gets too thick before you are ready to serve it, just add a little more milk.
Serve over hot biscuits and enjoy!!! I loves me some good ol' Southern Sausage Gravy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment