Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Apple Pecan Cake

Apple Pecan Cake


This recipe is my all time favorite cake recipe. It's so moist and delicious, made with apples, cinnamon, spices and pecans topped with a wonderful brown sugar icing...it just screams Autumn! It stays fresh several days...in fact it gets better with time! This recipe comes from my favorite cookbook of all time, "Sassafras" The Junior League of Springfield Missouri (my hometown) published it back in 1985. I wore my first copy out, and my husband gave me another one in 2002. There are so many wonderful recipes in it, but since we are getting closer to the holidays, I thought I'd share this cake recipe with you.
Ingredients:
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
3 eggs, well beaten
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups peeled, chopped apples
1 cup chopped pecans
Icing:
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease a bundt pan. In a large bowl, thoroughly mix oil, sugar and eggs. Add vanilla. Sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, soda and salt. Blend into oil mixture. Fold in apples and pecans. Pour into prepared pan and bake 55 to 60 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cool. To prepare icing, bring brown sugar, butter and milk to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Beat with a spoon until icing is cool. Drizzle over cake. Serves 12 to 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment