Monday, August 17, 2015

Miss Cindy's Sausage Gravy

Miss Cindy's Sausage Gravy


Miss Cindy's Sausage Gravy Recipe (For Biscuits and Gravy)


The weekend is almost here...and there's nothing better than on a Sunday morning to make up a big breakfast!. Here's my recipe for my good, old fashioned Southern Sausage Gravy. My mother-in-law is a Southerner, she taught me how to make this wonderful, tasty, decadent gravy many, many years ago. It's a quick and easy breakfast for your family!  Just toss a can of biscuits in the oven, and maybe fry or scramble  some eggs and you have a quick and easy breakfast! All you need is a pound of pork sausage, flour, water and milk.
Just crumble up a pound of sausage in a skillet.
I like to use my pastry cutter to get the sausage crumbled up nice and fine. You might need to add a bit of vegetable oil if the sausage is lean. You'll need that grease to create your roux.Once the sausage is browned, sprinkle about 4 tablespoons of flour over the sausage.
Stir the sausage around until it absorbs the flour.
Cook until the flour is slightly "scorched" --that's the key because it gives it a good flavor.
Next add 1/2 cup of water, stirring constantly. Then slowly add 1 1/2 to 2 cups of milk.
Stir! Stir! Stir!
Add fresh ground pepper and salt too taste! If it gets too thick before you are ready to serve it, just add a little more milk.
Serve over hot biscuits and enjoy!!! I loves me some good ol' Southern Sausage Gravy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment